Open Water Diver Course Overview
Now is the time to dive into the PADI Open Water Diver course, the most popular dive program in the world!
As a certified PADI Open Water Diver, the most widely recognized and respected rating in the world, you have the freedom to dive with a buddy in the open water (ie. ocean, lakes, etc.) independent of a professional.
- Includes Annual AquaSoc Membership. Belonging to the Oldest Dive Club in Canada has its benefits! Read more on our membership page
- All necessary rental gear and materials provided. Divers need to provide their own personal gear (Mask, Fins, Snorkel)
- 10% discount on any gear
- Optional Personal Gear Upgrade and Drysuit Upgrade Available (see Optional Upgrades below)
|Pool & Classroom Sessions||UBC||Nov 18th and 19th||10am-5pm|
|Drysuit Orientation (Optional) & Final Exam||UBC||Nov 22nd||6pm-10pm|
|Ocean Dives||Whytecliff Park||Nov 25th and 26th||8am-5pm|
What do I need to start?
Virtually anyone who is in good health, reasonably fit, and comfortable in the water can earn a PADI Open Water Diver certification. You must be older than the age of 15 to begin the PADI Open Water Diver program. For those of you who are not above the age of 15 and would like to participate in the PADI Open Water Diver Program, then the PADI Jr Open Water Diver program is available to you.
The UBC Aqua Society has committed itself to ensuring that your safety is our top priority. We are dedicated to low student to instructor ratios so you get lots of time for fun and practice, not only in the pool, but also in the ocean. We also require you to have your own personal gear (Mask, Fins, Snorkel) to start your diving adventures.
Course format is broken down into 3 segments: dive theory, confined pool sessions and open water sessions. Our course structure is spread out over 5 evening pool sessions followed by one weekend of open water diving. The course typically is scheduled over a 3 week term.
Once certified you can dive to 60′ /18m anywhere in the world, and this is a lifetime certification!
Note: This course includes an online elearning access pass which will be emailed to you shortly. When you register, you will be able to login into the PADI elearning theory course to complete the knowledge development sessions prior to confined and open water dives. Also, you will need to fill up the medical questionnaire. (The PADI Medical form will need to be signed by a physician if participants have any “YES” answers in the medical questionnaire.)
Personal Gear Rental Package – $40+tax
Open Water Silver Dysuit Package – $99+tax
- Dry Suit Pool Orientation
- Dry Suit Rental Upgrade 4 Ocean Dives
Open Water Gold Dysuit Package – $178+tax
- Dry Suit Pool Orientation
- DrySuit Rental Upgrade 5 Ocean Dives
- DrySuit Specialty Materials
- Dry Suit Specialty Certification
Open Water Enriched Air Package – $178+tax
- Enriched Air diver certification
- Enriched Air dive material
- 2 Free Enriched Air rentals tanks