Only have your open water certification and want to share your love of the aquatic world with future divers? Do you love traveling the world? Do you want your life to be full of adventure and excitement? The UBC AquaPro Scuba Instructor Course takes you from a beginner scuba diver to a diving instructor in as little as 6 months part time. You will learn and develop skills to become a dive instructor in one of the best cold water diving areas, British Columbia. You will experience different adventure dives, learn leadership and teaching skills while diving and training at the University of British Columbia, and interact with future divers about how awesome the aquatic life is.
Throughout this 6 month Part Time Pro program, you will:
- Learn diving knowledge, risk management, diver’s safety, dive leadership and the diving business through
independent study sessions, quizzes, lectures and presentations
- Complete water skills and stamina exercises in confined and open water
- Training exercises to test organizational and problem solving abilities
- Lead you through an internship or series of practical training exercises with actual students and
courses, or a weekend of role playing to help you develop your problem-solving skills and dealing with
- Develop skills for open water workshops, rescue assessments and class presentations
- Experience diving (at least 100 logged dives)
- PADI Open Water Certification
- At least 18 years old
- Medical clearance to dive
The UBC Part Time Pro Scuba Instructor Course includes:
Advanced Open Water
The Advanced Open water Diver Course is designed to open your eyes to the many types of diving that pick your interest! This course includes 5 adventure dives (ie. Peak Performance Buoyancy, Wreck Diver, Underwater Navigation etc.)
This course will expand your knowledge and experience level: Rescue Divers learn to look beyond themselves and consider the safety and well being of other divers. It includes Emergency Oxygen Provider course, Marine Life Injuries course, Neurological assessment course and Basic Life support. You also get first hand experience in real life emergency scenarios.
PADI Divemaster training develops your leadership abilities by training you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. The course includes the Divemaster crew pack, Equipment Specialist certification.
Open Water Scuba Instructor
The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor program is your final step in the Aqua Pro program to become a PADI Instructor. You’ll receive comprehensive training, supported by a wide variety of PADI educational materials. PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors may conduct a broad range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba Diving to Divemaster training. The course includes the PADI Instructor crew pack and the Emergency First Response Instructor materials.
Extra Specialties Included:
During your PADI Dry Suit Diver Specialty course, you’ll will cover the background knowledge related to dry suit diving including dive planning, organization, techniques, problems and buoyancy control.
Enriched Air Diver
Maximize your time with the PADI Enriched Air Diver course. Enriched Air Diver saves you time by allowing you to stay underwater longer and get back into the water sooner.
Deep Diver Specialty
You’ll learn deep dive planning, organization, procedures, techniques and hazards. You’ll also put this knowledge to the test as you go on four open water dives that range from 18 – 40 metres / 60 – 130 feet.
Night Diver Specialty
With your PADI Night Dive Specialty, you will be able to experience a whole new world. Some of our local dive sites, like Porteau Cove or Whytecliff Park take on a new personality at night, as many underwater creatures and plant life (different from those you see during the day) are active at night.
- Contact shop for specific Part Time Pro Course schedule
|Advanced Open Water (3 days)||Pool & Classroom Sessions||UBC||1 day||6pm-10pm|
|Ocean Dives||Porteau Cove & Whytecliff Park||2 days||8am-5pm|
|Rescue Diver Course (5 days)||DAN DEMP (classroom)||UBC||1.5 days||5pm-10pm|
|PADI Rescue Class (classroom & pool)||UBC||1.5 days||5pm-10pm|
|Rescue Ocean Dives||Spanish Banks & Whytecliff Park||2 days||8am-3pm|
|Divemaster Program (6-8 weeks)||Pool & Classroom Sessions (skills and workshops)||UBC||6-8 weeks||TBD|
|Ocean Dives (intern)||Porteau Cove & Whytecliff Park||6-8 weeks||8am-5pm|
|Intern in Pool with Open Water Candidates||UBC||6-8 weeks||TBD|
|Instructor Program (2 weeks)||Pool & Classroom Sessions (skills and workshops)||UBC||2 weeks||TBD|
|Ocean Dives (intern)||Porteau Cove & Whytecliff Park||2 weeks||8am-5pm|
|Intern in Pool with Open Water Candidates||UBC||2 weeks||TBD|
|Rescue Assessment||Whytecliff Park||1 days||8am-5pm|
Course Cost: $5,343.50
- Course Material
- 2 Core Student Level Courses
- 1 Core Student Level First Aid and Emergency Oxygen Course
- 4 Student Level Specialty Courses
- 2 Core Professional Level Courses
- Emergency First Response Instructor course
- 5 Professional Level Specialty Instructor Courses
- 100+ Local Dives
Instructor Candidates Need:
- PADI application fees are due when applying for each professional rating
- Divemaster application ($142)
- Instructor Development Course application ($175)
- Emergency First Response Instructor application ($137)
- Instructor Examination application ($690)
- Specialty Instructor applications ($81)
- All Equipment – Optional Unlimited Drysuit Rental Package Available $798 – 6 months (not including personal gear)